VerveEarth


Tuesday, July 01, 2008

luxurious toilet

Hello, everyone~!

In the last week's chat, Nina introduced mean article from Washington Post. The article is called "In Energy-Stingy Japan, an Extravagant Indulgence: Posh Privies". I finally had time to check it out.

Before I start to mention the detail of the article, I was surprised to see the Japanese toilet get focused on a news paper published in the US. I have heard that, one of the famous companies that make luxurious toilets, TOTO, had once struggled in the US market because almost no one cared about experiences in bathroom. Several years later, the people in the US seem to understand what luxurious toilets truly are.

I sometimes come across these toilets in department stores at the center of Tokyo. In Japan, how well-equipped public toilets are is really important for customers. It can also be said for supermarkets, and even for schools. I once heard that employees of a certain supermarket were asked to clean restrooms there when a brand-new chief executive officer came into office. My university is trying hard to turn ordinary toilets into advanced toilets, literally! The other day, Eriko told me that the restroom where I hated to go before because it looked out of date had been updated completely. I was surprised to find it so much that it took a little time for me to accept the fact! Hahaha....

It makes me remember the moment I changed impressions for stores I visited. Though I am satisfied with a store itself, restrooms sometimes disappoint me. But now, almost every toilet I use when I go outside is well-equipped just like the toilet you can see on the article.

Moreover, it was fascinating for me to learn about how the Japanese habits for toilets have influenced on the environment. I am glad to see attention being paid to the Japanese toilets, but it is a little bit sad to know that it might keep Japan away from being green.

That's it for today!
See you soon. :)

1 comment:

Nina Liakos said...

I think most Americans would find this article funny. Our toilets are usually more ordinary. However, Americans famously used to complain about the paucity of clean, well-equipped toilets in Europe, and most people who traveled in Europe used to take their own toilet paper because European toilet paper used to be non-absorbent and scratchy (sometimes it was just old newspaper). So we have been guilty of similar thinking.