VerveEarth


Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The semester has started!

Good morning!
Today is the 3rd day of the fall semester and I finally can go back to the regular schedule.However...I have to admit that I still feel like I'm on a vacation.Also, The songs I've heard on "WAKE UP MTV" still bring me back to the time in Maryland! I've kept listening to them since I arrived here and these songs make me happy every time I listen to them in the morning because happy memories were there with the songs.(Some of them even makes me remember the time I overslept! Hahaha~.) Anyway, I took some pictures today. So mite mite~.(Please take a look at them~.^^)

I took this picture after I finished the class and I actually could leave the class room before the bell rung,then I took this. So only a few people walked in front of the building. This is one of the buildings in the Fuchinobe campus. (We have 2 campuses. The one is located in Fuchinobe, and the other is in Shibuya.) Inside the building, there are class rooms, professors' offices, and library. The student center is here as well.

This is the chapel. As you can see, the appearance is beautiful and so is the inside. The morning church service starts at 10:30 am everyday, so we can attend it.(When I was a freshman, I used to go there because I had to write a paper about the sermons at the chapel. Everyone at AGU is required to take the class which is called "Introduction to Christianity".)


I went to the book store at the campus to see if they have something new. Then I found the latest edition of Newsweek Japan. It's one of the books that I usually read on the train and I've started reading it since I entered AGU. So I always buy one every time I find the latest edition comes out. This week's feature is "Top 100 Global University Ranking".(Everyone is interested in the same thing!)


After I bought this, I met Hiro at the student center(the place I've mentioned above.). He was interested in the ranking and we decided to look through the ranking while we were walking to the Fuchinobe station. Then Hiro suddenly got excited because he found something on the article. He said, "Ah~~! Obachangu, mite mite! Maryland ga aru yo~!"(Wow! just take a look, Obachangu~! University of Maryland is in the ranking!) Yes, he was right! Can you see the Japanese letters "メリーランド大学(University of Maryland)" at the 45th place?(I drew the red line below the letters.) I think you should have an objective view when you look at this kind of information because it's just someone's view, but Hiro and I were so glad to find "メリーランド大学" on it because it's something we can relate to.

Ahh....mou sude ni shukudai ga!(My teacher gave me homework already!) My English teacher gives me a lot of the articles and I always need to put in plenty of time reading them because English used on the articles is not easy. However, it does develop my confidence of reading in English and it also allows me to improve my ability to concentrate on reading. "No pain, no gain", right?

Finally, this is the book I bought yesterday. I decided to read this as a "gohoubi for jibun" (indulgence) after I finished reading the article I've mentioned above, but I've already started reading on the train.(Yacchatta~.^^) I just couldn't help it because Haruki Murakami is one of my favorite authors. He is so famous not only in Japan but also throughout the world that his books are translated in many languages. I'm interested in reading "Kafka on the Shore" in English because I enjoyed reading it in Japanese.

I'm sad that the vacation came to an end and I guess it'll take a while to get used to waking up early for the class(Hahaha~!), but it's always great to see my friends at the school! I met Hiro, Nobu, Yuki, Seri, Maiko, Sayaka, Kaoru in the last 2 days, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of us very soon!

That's all for today!

P.S
The weather in Tokyo suddenly gets colder, so minna kaze niwa ki wo tsukete~.^^(Don't catch a cold!)

6 comments:

Ji Won said...

Obachangu~~ ^^
What a nice post! Wow your school looks sutekiiiiiiii~
Yes, you have to get used to waking up early in the morning da ne~. Sore yappari mendoukusai neee!

I woke up this morning to go to school and it took me over two and a half hours to get there because of some ridiculous accident that blocked the entire road throughout the whole morning!

Anyways, it must be really nice to see everyone again, especially everyone from the Maryland trip! Tell them I said hi and ganbare when you see them!

And lastly, go Maryland Terps!! Woo Hoo~!!

Hiro said...

Hi!
When I found University of Maryland on "The News Week", I was very happy!! And I wanna go UM again(T T)
Anyway, I agree to a Ji Won's comment! It's "Sore yappari mendoukusai neee!" because I felt a long distance from my house to AGU Fuchinobe campas yesterday morning!(>_<)/
Then, we have to go Fuchinobe 3months with some complains!
So,まぁ、後期もがんばりましょ。(Fight us!)

See you tommorow~.

Hiromi said...

Ji Won>
Hi, oppa~!
The Fuchinobe campus is newer than the campus at Shibuya, so I'm gonna miss how suteki these buildings are when I go to the Shibuya campus in my junior year da yo! Yeeeesss!Waking up early is always mendoukusaine...I'm yoru ni tsuyoi ningen dakara ne!

Wow...you had to stay in your car for two and a half hours?! It really is donmaikeru da nee. Sekkaku hayaoki sita noni~!!!!

Sou sou seeing minna from the Maryland trip again is sooo fun da yo! I wish you were here~! tte kanji daa~!!! Mata nee~.^^

Eriko>
Wow..!you've read "Kafka on the shore", too? His world of the novels is sooo interesting that I always can't stop reading once I start reading. I enjoyed reading "After Dark" so much! I almost forgot to get off the train da yo! So I recommend you read it if you like Haruki Murakami. Also, I haven't read "Perfect Day for Bananafish" and I'm interested in it because you mentioned it! So let's talk about it when I finish reading it, ne??

Ojichang>
Hello, Ojichang~.^^ I was glad to see you again in the campus yesterday da yo! Also I enjoyed talking to you and Yuiko at the cafeteria! Sou dane~, we were so excited to find "University of Maryland" on Newsweek!

Well, it's always mendoukusai for me to wake up early even though I don't have to wake up at 6 am to attend the class which starts at 9 o'clock any more! Also, it takes about an hour to go to the Fuchinobe campus. So I already am tired before the classes start! Dame jaan~!! Hahaha~.^^ But we're gonna say goodbye to the Fuchinobe campus after this semester comes to an end! It's sad, isn't it?

Anyway, がんばろうね~♪♪

Nina Liakos said...

Wow, a great long post and lengthy comments too! I loved seeing the photos of "AGU in Fushinobe" (as opposed to "AGU in AMerica"). Ji Won, I was stuck in the same traffic jam as you. It was ugly! Still, we were lucky that it was not we who had the accident, right?

The U of Maryland has been climbing higher and higher since I started working here in 1981. At that time, it was considered a "part school," not a very serious place to study. All that is changing. I think it's for the better, of course!

I love the fact that you are reading such great literature. I am currently reading "The World Is Falt" by Thomas Friedman. It's all about globalization and how technology has put everyone in the world into contact and also into competition with each other. Very thought-provoking. I also listen to a lot of audiobooks while driving back and forth (although I have started carpooling and/or taking the bus a couple of days a week). I just finished rereading two favorites: "Where the Heart Is" by Billie Letts, and "The Kalahari Typing School for Men," by Alexander McCall Smith. By the way, I have a reading blog at http://nliakos.wordpress.com which you are invited to visit, but I must admit I don't post to it often. I haven't posted about the last several books I've read.

Will you be changing the time in Japan? We go back to Eastern Standard Time at the end of October. On the 11th, we will still be at GMT -4, but on Oct. 29 we will be GMT -5. I am wondering if Japan will change too, remaining 13 hours ahead, or if you will change to 14 hours ahead. Does anyone know?

Nina Liakos said...

Oops, I meant "party school," not "part school." That's what happens when you don't proofread before you hit "publish". :-(

Hiromi said...

Nina>
Hi, Nina~!
It was interesting for me to read your thoughts about the U of Maryland and the reviews of the books you've read recently. I'm going to visit your reading blog!

Also, the time difference between Maryland and Japan will remain 13 hours.(You mean "daylight saving time", right?)