VerveEarth


Monday, February 19, 2007

A Classical Book about Globalization

Hello, everyone~!

I'd like to talk about the book I've just finished reading today. The book is called "The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization". I chose this because his latest book called "The World is Flat" really interested me, so I was interested in reading more of his works. Moreover, the way he describes something in English on the book is always easy to understand. It often makes me realize how many ways I've got to describe what I want to say by using the grammar of English that I learned in my junior high school. Of course, how many words I know still matters a lot. But at the same time, it's also important to be able to say what I want in a proper way.

Well, let's move on to my reflection of the book. I heard that the book is now regarded as a classical book that deals with globalization. I can even say that I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the shelf of history book. It's a bit funny to call the book a classical one, isn't it? However, it's still worth reading because it's happening right now and each of us should at least get some idea of what's happening and what will happen next. I don't like to admit that the technologies in this digital era will change everything fabulously, because while half of me has been benefited from the technologies that allows me to connect with a huge number of people, the other half still wants to count on something solid. Local communities, friends, and the culture that identifies myself, for example. Whatever I say, however, the trend doesn't seem to stop. So I'm going to try as much as I can to adopt myself to it in a way that I can keep myself from being lost!

Anyway, it was a good reading for me. I think you'll be able to enjoy the book if you want to grasp some ideas of globalization and how it affects us now and in the future.

Okay, that's all for today!
See you soon~!

1 comment:

Nina Liakos said...

Hello, Hiromi!
I loved The Lexus and the Olive Tree, which I read a few years ago. I agree with you that Tom Friedman's prose style is clear and easy to understand. He uses a lot of personal examples which make his subject alive and interesting. Reading books such as this will really help your own prose style to grow and develop. Keep on reading!

For my reflections on books I've been reading, check my my reading blog at http://nliakos.wordpress.com.