VerveEarth


Monday, February 05, 2007

Dororo

Hello, everyone~!

I'm glad to be able to add something new here again. I'd love to tell you something interesting almost everyday because so many things happened since the vacation started.
Anyway, let me start with what I did with one of AGU in America mates, Yuki.

Yuki and I went to Roppongi today. I once talked to you about Roppongi the other day. Roppongi is one of the famous cities in Tokyo, and a lot of people from other countries live there. So you might see signs written in both Japanese and English if you visit here. Today, we watched the movie called "Dororo". This movie was based on the comic books written by Osamu Tezuka.

The story was really complicated, so I'll try as much as I can to simplify. It was about the battle between Samurai and monsters. The main character, Hyakkimaru, was a human. But he was abondoned by his parents when he was a baby, and an old man picked it up when he floated down the river. Then, the old man found that there was something wrong about the baby. So he tried to fix it by replacing the baby's body parts with the body parts which he got from dead soldiers. So for the baby(who grew into Hyakkimaru), almost all of his body parts were fake. Then, when he became mature enough to fight, he started a journey to look for his own body parts by fighting against monsters who changed their appearances like humans to deceive Hyakkimaru and to protect themselves. He had 48 parts to take back. It may sound strange to you, and I felt the same way before I saw it. After I saw it, I found it really fascinating to watch a movie like this because the way the original comic artist tried to tell me was thought-provoking. You can go to the offcial website by clicking this banner. On the website, you can watch the trailer.


Moreover, I witnessed the Japanese traditional event there. It's called "Okihiki". According to the handout I got there, "Okihiki is one of the traditional events in the ancient Shiki-nen-sengu rites of the Ise Grand Shrines held every 20 years. Okihiki is the traditional procession of the transportation of the sacred logs for reconstruction of the shrines. For the first time in the 1300-year history of this event, the tradtiton comes to Tokyo, and Roppongi Hills has been honored as the venue." At first, I had no idea what was going on at the scene. However, all I could thought of at the time was to take some pictures of the event so that I would be able to talk about it. Also, I found the website that has the footage of the event. I hope it'll help you understand this traditional event. I was surprised at the fact that this kind of event being held in Roppongi because the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about the place is "modern". Anyway, I think it adds the attractiveness to the place, Roppongi.
In additon, Yuki and I looked around the shops and ate lunch together.
It was really fun!
0
Okay....I'll finish here.
See you soon~

No comments: