VerveEarth


Monday, February 12, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

Hello, everyone~!

On Sunday, I went to the theater in Roppongi to see the movie called "An Inconvenient Truth". I don't think I need to explain it to you in detail because you've heard a lot about it already. In short, it's about global warming.

Even though I thought I knew about the problem a lot as a person in the country which accepted "Kyoto Protocol", I was terrified of the fact that the situation is getting worse day by day. It was much more than expected. At the same time, I felt relieved to know that each of the state in the US has already started to act. It doesn't matter whether or not what each of us can do has an impact to change the situation. I think what's important is that each of us understands that our planet is at stake, and that trying to be hopeful by start thinking about the problem and acting something for the earth.

Also, I was impressed by how Al Gore interpreted the data that he had collected over the years in a way which everyone can understand. The reason why I think so is that to show the date to every generation in comprehensible and sometimes enjoyable way is much harder than to collect them. So his way of showing them in the presentation was something I could learn from.

The picture on the left side is the poster which provided the information about the electoricity used in the theater to play the movie. I was surprised at the fact that there was a term "green energy". I also found that there was a company which made certifications for companies' efforts to be eco-conscious. Then, the theater was approved by the company, and has been given the certification. It meant that the power consumed for playing the movie was produced by natural sunlight and wind. I found this interesting because I've never thought about the energy used in a theater. Also, most importantly, it's nice for us to be able not only to see the movie that mentioned global warming, but also to care about the energy that we consume to play the movie, isn't it? I hope the number of the theaters that introduce the system will start to get growing.

Lastly, though I saw lots of terrifying facts in the movie, the phrases of the credits made me feel hopeful for the future. My favorites are"Pray that people will have the strength to change." and "When you pray, move your feet."(I've learned that the latter comes from the African old saying.)

Alright, that's all for today!
If you have a chance, I recommend you watch this movie! ^^

See you soon~

1 comment:

Nina Liakos said...

Hi Hiromi,
Your words echo my sentiments completely. I am really glad you saw the movie. I thought I was one of the last to see it, but unfortunately, when I mention it to my friends, most of them admit they haven't seen it. Maybe we all think we already know everything about global warming, but I sure didn't. I learned a lot from this movie.
Hope you are having a fine vacation!