VerveEarth


Saturday, February 03, 2007

Marie Antoinette

Hello everyone~!


Today I want to talk about the movie I saw on Feb 1st. I went to the theater with one of my best friends. Her name is Mina. We've known each other for a long time. I never recall my childhood without thinking about the time we played together. We became separated when she went to a professional school, and I went to my university. However, we try to spend time together sometimes.


The movie I saw on the day was "Marie Antoinette". You might think of this movie as a historical one. But the director of the movie, Sofia Coppola made a different approach to this legendary woman who had ups and downs. If you remember your history's class, Marie Antoinette is famous for her wasteful spending. At the time, many people even called her "The queen of debt". But in this movie, the director tried to describe her as an ordinary girl whom we all can be related to. She liked to dance, stay up all night, gamble a lot, and so on. I was surprised at the fact that she was just 14 years old when she got married to her husband, Louis XVI. It was regarded as an alliance between France and Austria. Everyone at the Palace of Versailles anticipated the birth of their baby because whether or not they could have a son mattered a lot at the time, and they always tried to let her down by asking if they had a baby when they passed her by. So there was a lot of pressure on her, and she had no one to turn to.

Sofia Coppola is one of my favorite directors because the way she interprets something foreign always fascinates me. I've been a fan of her since I watched "Lost in Translation". So I was so excited that her new movie came out here finally! After I read the reviews, I found that some people didn't like the language that was used in the movie. The people in the movie rarely spoke French actually, they spoke English almost all the time. The words they said in French was "Au revoir.(Goodbye.)", "Merci.(Thank you.)", and so on. The French audience responded to the movie in the same way when it arrived in France. However, I thought it was okay! I thought that you might miss something important if you focused too much on the language. Admittedly, it looked strange at first. But I got used to it as the movie went on. I even liked the fact that they decided to make this movie almost all in English because it added a kind of unique taste in it. Hearing the casts make conversations in English at the Palace of Versailles made me feel like as if I was lost in somewhere. Also, the dresses were so beautiful that I wish that I was born in that century! Hehehe~.

Then, she gave me a souvenir from her trip to Osaka, the west part of Japan. She went to Universal Studio Japan there with friends of her. Listening to what she saw and did definitely made me want to go there! The picture on the left side is Spider-Man faced body wash. It made me laugh because it was cute and funny. Anyway, her choice is brilliant because I love taking bath. (I'm sure she knew it!)

I really had a good time watching the movie, chatting a lot, eating dinner. Also, I want to see "Lost in Translation" again. So I'll see it again at home.
Okay~ , that's all for today.
See you soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spiderman, It's so cute.

Nasser said...

Hi Hiromi
How you doing?
Nice meeting you too and thank you for swing-by my blog
I saw the move yesterday on the airplane I was traveling from Maryland to Denver the movie was really nice I like it and I enjoy it as well.
Good luck in your studding
Nasser

Nina Liakos said...

I notice you have been adding tags and all sorts of fancy things to your posts now. Are you in the new Blogger? How do you like it?

I hope to go back and follow your links when I have more time. I am rushing now because I am traveling to North Carolina for a few days and will be afk ("Away from keyboard")!

As always, thank you very much for reading my students' blogs and leaving such nice comments!