VerveEarth


Saturday, February 17, 2007

Something that we usually don't learn in a class room

Hello, everyone~!

Today I watched the TV show called "Eigo de shabera naito", which means that "You have to speak in English". As you can guess from the title, the show is about English. It's one of my favorite TV shows because it's so different from the shows I used to watch as a way to improve my English. What's so different is, I think, that the show really focuses on speaking. In Japan, people who learn English or teach English has tended to focus on grammer things. In result, they care about them so much that they don't try to communicate with people who speak English. Moreover, they can't feel the connection between the language they've learned and themselves. Even though the primary reason the Japanese people learn English is to communicate with people, sometimes the fear of making mistakes gets in the way. However, the situation has started to change after learners found the fact and the TV show like the one I mentioned here began.

On the show, a coach from the NBA league showed up and introduced technical terms and slangs used on live telecasts and by the players.

  1. "from downtown"
  2. "nothing but net (=whish) "
  3. "money"


The first one, "from downtown" is the term used when a player hits a shot from the middle of a court. The word "downtown" usually means the center of the city, and for basketball it means the center of a court.


The second is "nothing but net". Can you guess what it means? It's used when a player makes a shot without letting a ball touch a hoop. The host of the show encouraged the coach to try to do it and he did it! Yes, it was literally nothing but net.


The last one, "money" looks unfit in terms of basketball games, but it actually does. We normally use it at economic scenes like currency. However, when it's brought to the court it means "scoring point". Money is something secure in our daily life, so are scoring points on the court.


I found it interesting to know these terms because we don't usually learn them. Also, I've learned that the day of the NBA all star game is now on the corner. So I'll tune in to the game and see if these terms are used!


Alright, that's all for today!
Have a nice weekend! ^^
See you soon~

2 comments:

Nina Liakos said...

Cool! I also learned something new from your post today. By the way, the Terps are doing pretty well on the basketball court. Wednesday night we watched them beat North Carolina State! It was a great game (we watched it on TV; it was an "away" game, which means it was played in NC.)

Mayuko said...

Hello~☆Thank you for your many comments!!I'm really happy!!You said you introduce my blog to people who come to your blog.Of course sure!!I really appreciate your kindness.thank you so much!!
I know the show.Yumiko Shaku is appearing at the show,dosen't she?At first she completely couldn't speak English.But her pronunciation is very good.I knowed that everyone can speak English if you practice.I do my best,too.