VerveEarth


Friday, February 23, 2007

Amazing Woman

Hello, everyone~!

I've recently been fed up with the news about Anna Nicole Smith's death... Why do so many people find it fascinating? I just don't figure it out, and even the anchors of the shows I watched wondered why. The death itself was sad, indeed. However, there's so much more interesting, meaningful, inspirational to talk about, right? Moreover, I'm not particularly interested in where she'll be laid to rest. I should probably think about following headlines on the Internet and try as much as possible to go to an Anna Nicole Smith-free zone, shouldn't I?



Meanwhile, I've found an interesting video on YouTube. I originally happened to know about its existence on CNN. The woman in the video, Amanda Baggs, is 26 years old and diagnosed with autism.I've heard of the name of the disease even though I didn't know what the symptoms were very much. So this video helped me understand what the disease was, and I felt that there's a lot of things out there I don't know about or I even pay no attention to. Moreover, it made me want to rethink about the definition of communication. The way she communicates and intracts with things around her is fascinating, isn't it?

1 comment:

Nina Liakos said...

I agree about Anna Nicole Smith. There are much more important events to know about in the world!

Temple Grandin is an autistic author and scientist (very high-functioning: she has a PhD) who has written a lot about autism(See http://www.templegrandin.com/)
I have read several of her books: Thinking in Pictures, Emergence: Labeled Autistic, Animals in Translation.... They are really interesting!

Another amazing book about autism is the novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. It's the story of an autistic English teenager, written from his perspective 9although the author is not autistic). I recommend it highly!