VerveEarth


Friday, May 30, 2008

Chabo!

Hello~, everyone!

Chabo!(チャボ)- 本で、もっと、世界にいいこと。

As I've said previously, I'm now trying to read more by saving time to do other things. Through this effort, I came across the project called "Chabo!" which means bantam in Japanese, and also the abbreviation of Charity Book. The name of the program has a message that, as the program develops day by day, a bantam (basically can't fly) could fly throughout the world someday.

Well, when you hear the word charity, what comes to your mind? To me, I imagined I opened the wallet and give some money to organizations. So, it means that I knowingly have to give some money which can be used to buy whatever I want. By doing so, it certainly makes me feel better. At the same time, however, it somehow requires me to make up my mind. I guess that's one of the things that keep me away from participating charity program, honestly. When it comes to charity, what I think of at first is that my wallet would be hurt!

That's how I've thought about charity. But these days, there are a lot of charity programs that raise money from their revenues from sales of their products. So, practically, consumers literally don't have to do anything at all. and that's how I like about Chabo! program.

You might wonder how Chabo! works actually. Okay. You can contribute to Chabo! program by purchasing the books certified as "Chabooks". It's as simple as that! 20% of the royalty on these books will go directly to the organization called JEN. According to the website, it works on reconstruction of the places in the world which are destroyed by war or disaster.

For your information, I'd like to introduce the mission statement of Chabo! program:

*Through contributing a part of the money that we get from writing books and holding seminars, Chabo! does education and self-reliance support for the refugees and the ruined areas in the world.

*We are aiming to grow as readers, the supporting areas, the people who do support activities, and the authors. In addition to that, each of us are expected to learn each other through the program.

*By contributing to the donation, we realize how big this world in, possibilities we have, and the preciousness of human lives. Also, the importance of education and self-reliance support would be realized as well. By thinking of these things and acting, the authors' view would expand and we hope to create a civil society rooted in Japan.

It's inspiring, isn't it? I would like to participate as much as I can, which means buying Chabooks. For more information, why don't you visit Chabo! website? (Unfortunately, there's no pages in English for now.)

I also would like to talk about one of the contributors of the program whose name is Kazuyo Katsuma later. So please look forward to it! ^^

No comments: