VerveEarth


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just for Fun

Hello, everyone~!

Before taking part in today's chat, I decided to update my blog. As I told you previously, I have several books that I finished reading and I would like to talk about it.

Today's book is called "Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary" written by Linus Torvalds and David Diamond. If you're familiar with computer things, the spelling of one of the author's name, Linus, reminds you of the open-source software, Linux. (Relax! I didn't realize it either when I came across the book for the first time. Hahaha...!!) The fact that my favorite author called Banana Yoshimoto recommended this book on her web diary encouraged me to give it a try. (By the way, the picture you can look at on the left side is the English edition and the link brings you to Amazon.com. I read the Japanese edition.)

The book is basically about how his habit to play with his computer has turned out to be one of the great inventions in the history of the IT industry. Moreover, he rebuilt the business style and working style and he made us realize the basic and simple fact of human-being, we love to do what each of us loves. Moreover, we are likely to be good at doing what you love and it often ends up being able to do your best.

So, even though he often is asked why he's successful or how he intended to make it happen, his answer would always be that I do it just for fun. When you hear the story like his, what comes to your mind would be the fact that not everyone would be like him. And that was exactly what I thought after reading the book. However, I can imagine it would be awesome that everyone makes his/her own living by doing what you love. I really hope that it would be realized some day, and I do think that the birth of the Internet encourages everyone to do what you love to do as your job.

Alright, it's finally the time to chat!
For those of you who are coming to the chat, see you there!

For the rest of you, see you soon! ^^

No comments: