VerveEarth


Monday, August 28, 2006

American University Reunion~!

Good morning~!!

I went to Shibuya yesterday.
Shibuya is one of the wards in Tokyo and this is the place you might want to come if you're interested in youth culture in Japan.
I think the most important role of Shibuya is setting trends.
So if you want to know what's cool in Japan quickly, you should go there!
Also, it's the city that never sleeps.

I actually live in a kind of rural area in Tokyo, so it took about an hour to get there. Then the number of the people on the train got increased as Shibuya station approached. Though I'm a citizen of Tokyo, I'm always nervous to go to busy areas like Shibuya. The reason is, I don't like being in crowded places. But being in Shibuya itself is soooo much fun!

I went there for American University reunion! I went to American University last year as a participant of the program which was made by AGU. As you can imagine, the memory of the program is sooo amazing! So I still keep in touch with the other participants and we sometimes hang out together. 20 people went to the University last year, and yesterday 9 of us came. I was really glad to see how each of us were and talk to each other. Though we belong to the same department, we don't have time for looooooong conversation. So it was soooo much fun just talking about the school, boyfriends, girlfriends. and the things each of us did in this summer!

After eating and drinking, we went to Karaoke! It was soooooo fun as well because I looooooove going to Karaoke with my friends!!!!! I sang 2 or 3 songs. It reminded me of the days I went to Karaoke in Maryland! It's interesting, isn't it?

Alright, I took some pictures yesterday.
I always get excited to see neon-glittering cities like Shibuya because it makes me feel like something's always going on at the places.


I took this picture after I went through the ticket gate of Shibuya station, so this is the first thing you will see when you go to Shibuya by train. See how bright it was! The city that never sleeps wakes people up as well!


This was also taken at the same place as the first one, but it's on the right side. The building on the left side is called TSUTAYA and they sell CDs, DVDs, books and so on. They even rent videos. On the 1st and 2nd floor, there's Starbucks. Then, the building on the right side is one of the famous department stores for young people in Japan. It's called 109 (ichi-maru-kyuu), and it's got 9 levels and each floor has diffrent kinds of stores.
Also, this is the place where the movie "Lost in Translation" was filmed. (I love the movie because it helps me take a look at Japan in a different way and how they describe Japan is interesting!)

There are a lot to see in Shibuya and the places around Shibuya are also fun! Actually, the campus of AGU locates in Shibuya and I can go there everyday when I'm a junior. So I think it's a good way to get used to crowded places. Then by the time I graduate, Shibuya will be one of my favorite places! Hahaha~. :)

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

bon said...

I really want to listen to you singing. So, let's go to Karaoke with the members of AGU in America!

Ji Won said...

Nice reunion ^^
I like big cities like Shibuya because you can always find something to do, no matter what time you go!
Quick question..
I don't know if you know the answer to this question or not, but...
Is Shibuya the city they used as the background in the movie SPIDER MAN? It looks very familiar (although I've never been there ^^;;)

Hiromi said...

bon>
Hehehe~, you want to hear me sing?! It's kind of you to say so, and I think we all can go to Karaoke soon! That sounds really good da yo nee!

Anyway, thanks for your comment!

ji won>
Yeah, it was a nice reunion datta yo! It does remind of the days in American University. Hanging out in big cities is sooo much fun, and you can stay there for 24 hours if you like da nee. There's no need to worry about the last train if you go to Shibuya da yo. Hehehe~.
Anyway....I tried to figure out the answer, but I'm not sure if spider man was in Tokyo. So I'm going to watch it and tell you the answer~^^ Doumo arigatou for your comment!

Nina Liakos said...

I am curious: you say AGU is located in Shibuya, but that you will only go there regularly when you are a junior at AGU. How can this be? Is there more than one campus?

Hiromi said...

Nina>
Yeah, we have 2 campuses. We go to the campus that is located in Sagamihara(Kanagawa Prefecture) from freshman to sophomore. Then we go to the campus that is located in Shibuya(Tokyo) from junior to senior. I don't know the reason why we have 2 campuses. But it's interesting, isn't it?

Nina Liakos said...

Maybe they think Shibuya has too many distractions for impressionable freshmen and sophomores!

Hiromi said...

Nina>
Hahaha,good guess! Many of high school students who are interested in AGU think that they can go to the campus in Shibuya when they enter the university. So they always look disappointed when the students of AGU tell them that they have to go to Sagamihara campus for 2 years first!