VerveEarth


Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Udon

Good morning!

Fortunately.... I've got something to write today! :)
Let me talk about yesterday's dinner!
It still reminds me of how delicous it was and I really want to go there again!

I went to the Udon place with my mother and my father yesterday. As I wrote before, Udon is a kind of Japanese noodles and it's one of my favorite foods in Japan. Another kind of Japanese noodle is "SOBA", but I think Udon is always the best! :)

Also there are some kinds of Udon and each of them have deep stories. The kinds of Udon that I can think of now are "SANUKI" and "INANIWA", and both are the name of places. I ate "SANUKI" Udon yesterday. "SANUKI" city is in Kagawa prefecture. Kagawa prefecture is so famous for its Udon that many people from Tokyo or other prefectures spend a lot of time and money eating Udon that is really cheap and very delicous. So it's natural for them to think about opening "SANUKI" Udon restaurant in busy area like Tokyo because they're gaining popularity with every generation. I actually have never been to Kagawa, so I want to go there for Udon tour sooo much!!! The price of Udon in Kagawa prefecture is unbelievable! One serving is about 100 yen.(about $1), so if you have 1000 yen you can enjoy 10 kinds of Udon!!!

This is the Udon I ate yesterday and this is called "Bukkake" Udon. You can choose how you eat "SANUKI" Udon based on how they're cooked. It's like choosing rare, medium-rare, or well-done when you eat steaks. It's hard to explain what "bukkake" is, so I looked up the dictionary. Example sentence is "throw water over someone's head". (Could you imagine what's it's like?) Of course when we talk about Udon, we use soup (it's called "DASHI") instead of water, and we pour it to a bowl that is filled with Udon.

I really enjoyed eating it with my mother and my father. Also it was the first time for me to eat "SANUKI" Udon since I arrived here, so I kind of devoured when Udon came to me. :) Also this Udon place at the shopping mall is close to US Yokota Air base. So I could see some of the Americans enjoy shopping when I was there. I was surprised some of them ate Udon politely and they seemed to enjoy eating it like us. I was so delighted to find Udon already started spreading universally! Way to go!! :)

Well am I gone too far...? Hahaha. :P
But I hope you get the detail of Udon and we'll go and eat Udon together some day! :)

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Nina Liakos said...

Good evening, Hiromi!
I loved your post about udon! Your description together with the great photo made me really want to try these noodles myself! (The one you ate appears to be vegetarian, right?) They look delicious!
What I don't understand is what this has to do with a friend in France. Please explain!

Ji Won said...

I waaaannnttt Uuuudooonnnn!!
I'm coming to your hometown just for that $1 udon yo~ ^^
My treat!!! hahaha
Great post, keep blogging~ ^^

bon said...

I ate sushi and takoyaki after I went back Japan. But I haven't eat udon yet. So I want to eat udon soon!

Hiromi said...

Nina>
Yes, you might like Udon! Also, it's good for your health!:)
I completely forgot to explain about my friend in France because I really concentrated on talking about Udon! So I'm going write about it on the next one. So please look forward to it!

Ji Won>
Now you want Udon desperately da mon ne. I actually had another kind of Udon today! So may your mission be accomplished!!!! Don't forget to tell me how it was ne. :)

bon>
Thank you so much for your comment! I want to eat takoyaki sooo much because I missed it! I think I'm gonna eat it tomorrow if it's possible. :)