VerveEarth


Wednesday, June 04, 2008

27 Dresses

Hello, everyone~!


In Japan, the rainy season called "tsuyu" has officially begun. It's a bit sad that I'll embrace less sunny days just for a while. On the other hand, however, I can enjoy the cities in a way that I can't when it's sunny. Right?

Well, I somehow wondered what to write for today before logging on this website. And I decided to talk about the movie that I've seen lately.

The title of the movie is "27 Dresses"(In Japan, the title has been changed as 「幸せになるための27のドレス」.("27 dresses to be happy" in English, it somehow implies the ending...?)) I didn't know what to expect when I watched the trailer of this movie for the first time, but I was suddenly interested in it after knowing the fact that the writer from the movie "Devil Wears Prada" wrote the script. (I liked "Devil Wears Prada", I even read the book. Remember?)

But this time, the story is totally different.
According to the movie's page of Yahoo!,

"Jane is idealistic, romantic and completely selfless--a perennial bridesmaid whose own happy ending is nowhere in sight. But when younger sister Tess captures the heart of Jane's boss--with whom she is secretly in love--Jane begins to reexamine her "always-a-bridesmaid..." lifestyle."

It's basically about the woman, Jane, who has been kind to everyone but herself, in her private life and at work. And she hardly says no. So, the happiness of others always comes first. And the title, 27 dresses, comes from the fact that she has 27 dresses that she wore at the wedding ceremonies as a bridesmaid. As she says, she's happy to help others feel happy, especially on the happiest day of someone.

Actually, I haven't been familiar with a wedding ceremony with bridesmaids. In Japan, there's no custom like that. So, at first I was a bit confused why she has to attend so many wedding ceremonies with different dresses. Also, as far as I've experienced, we probably don't choose a specific theme for the ceremony like "Gone with the Wind"or something like that. So, the style of wedding in the US that is represented in the movie fascinated me very much.

Moreover, though the US is famous for the fact that almost half of married couples would end up divorcing at the end, it seems to me that there's still some romantic yearnings for wedding. I guess every woman in the world has some kind of feeling like this, don't you think?

Anyway, it's a good movie especially for working women who care too much about others sometimes. It's also interesting to watch because you can understand what it feels like to be a single woman in the US. Though many women can pursue careers, by watching the movie like this, getting married looks like the biggest moment for women. And I could see that the society expects women to do so.

Alright, that's all for today!
If you have a chance to see it, just give it a try! (I hope you'll like it. ^^)

2 comments:

Nina Liakos said...

Hi, Hiromi!
At formal weddings in the U.S., the bride and groom both have attendants (groomsmen for the groom, bridesmaids for the bride). The number depends on the size of the wedding and the number of friends, siblings, cousins, &c that the couple want to include in the "bridal party" (the group of people actually participating in the wedding ceremony). The groomsmen serve as ushers at the ceremony, seating the guests as they arrive. The bridesmaids are supposed to help the bride dress, apply her makeup, etc., and assist her in various ways. There is also usually a "maid of honor" ("matron of honor" if she is already married), who is kind of the lead bridesmaid. All of them have to wear the same dress, which is chosen by the bride. The dresses are almost never anything you would have any occasion to wear again to a different function, and the bridesmaids are expected to buy them themselves, so it can be a big expense (don't forget the matching shoes).
I was a bridesmaid twice: once for my sister, when I was 15, and once for a college friend. I didn't have a big wedding with bridesmaid and all the hoopla, and I have never regretted it!

eriko said...

hello--!!Hiromichan!

Do you think that those who don't like the movie "Devil with prada" could not enjoy "27 dresses"?