VerveEarth


Friday, June 06, 2008

Maid Cafe

Hello, everyone~!

As I was browsing through the websites that I visit regularly, I found an interesting website of a cafe in Los Angels, which obviously are inspired by the Japanese Otaku culture. (Have you heard of that?)

I've heard that a Japanese term "OTAKU" can be understood in the US just like "SUSHI." I don't know if it's true, but by looking at the website like this, it makes me want to believe that.

It's ROYAL/T Cafe.

A lot of cafes just like this are everywhere when you go to Akihabara.(It's a region in Tokyo, and famous for big electronic stores. Needless to say, it's known as heaven for geeks, Otaku in Japanese.)

And related to today's topic, "maid cafe"(meido-kafe) is one of the things that is famous when it comes to Otaku culture. Though I haven't tried to visit there, I once looked up for it because I and my friends did a presentation about Otaku's communication. The word "OTAKU" originally means "out-group", and when you hear it today, it's basically about a person's character. There are several fields of Otaku such as Anime Otaku, Manga Otaku, Game Otaku, and so on.

I'm wondering what it would be like to visit Maid Cafe in LA!

No comments: