VerveEarth


Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tokyo Next

Hello, everyone~!

Today, I got a call from Yuiko after I spent time at the library looking for what I've been working on for my graduation thesis. She actually called me because she thought she would encounter the commuter rush if she tried to go home now, and she wanted to spend some time to avoid that. And I guess she needed someone to talk to while waiting for the rush time to pass her by.

I got a call from her and I decided to go to where she was. She went to BAGEL&BAGEL, where you can enjoy lots of different kinds of bagels, she chose to go there because one of her favorite foods is bagel. She can even make it by herself!

There, we talked about how each of us is doing right now, and the things each of us has been interested in lately. One of the things that we both has kept an eye on is that, H&M, which is an European fashion retailer, is coming to Japan very soon. I just visited the store once when I went to New York several years ago, but I remembered enjoying to be there at the time. So, I'm kind of excited that it's actually coming to Japan finally.

Well, why "kind of"? Hmmm... I guess it's a little too late. The same can be said for another famous fashion brand, Abercrombie and Fitch, because it seems to me that A&F has been afraid of their image being damaged due to their trial to come to Japan. Of course, it definitely is a good thing for fashion brands from other countries to come to Japan because it's a kind of sign that a brand is being regarded as truly famous and valued at one of the centers of fashion throughout the world. But at the same time, it means that a brand might struggle because the Japanese people are usually said to be easily excited at first, and sooner or later, we will be sick of it because everyone starts to have "it". So, it's really hard to follow what's hot in Japan, especially in the areas such as Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku, and so on.

In the situation like this, H&M is now trying hard to promote their opening in Tokyo at their website. Last week, I was surprised to watch their podcast focus on fashionistas (people who have good taste for fashion) in Tokyo areas. Harajuku, Ginza, for example. I think the people who came up for this podcast are very very passionate about fashion. Though I go to Shibuya everyday and I think that fashion is a part of our daily lives, I just don't understand why some people are unbelievably crazy for fashion! But at the same time, it's fascinating to watch them because it somehow gives me new ways to look at clothes.

If you're interested to watch their podcast, CLICK HERE.

Alright, that's all for today!
I'm looking forward to seeing you at Tapped In!

1 comment:

Nina Liakos said...

I am one who rarely buys new clothes (I am still wearing stuff that belonged to my mother, who died in 1983) and pretty much ignores fashion. I focus on comfort!