VerveEarth


Wednesday, June 18, 2008

CHANEL MOBILE ART

Hello,everyone~!

Today, I went to Harajuku to visit "CHANEL MOBILE ART in TOKYO."

I happened to know about this when I watched a news show on TV, and it literaly drew my attention! In addition to it, it turned out that the event would be held near Harajuku station, which takes less than 5 minutes to be there from Shibuya! Though going to Shibuya for school is a bit tough because it's always crowded, but this time, I couldn't help but be thankful for the location of my university! Yaaaay!

Do you remember the post in 2006 that I talked about Utada Hikaru's concert? "Mobile Art" opens at the same place as the concert, Yoyogi National Gymnasium. I hope the link for Google Map helps you imagine where it would be.

大きな地図で見る

"CHANEL MOBILE ART" is a project by the international luxury brand, CHANEL, obviously. But what's new about it is that the museum travels around the world, such as Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York, London, Moscow, and Paris. Usually, people travels around the world to visit so many different kinds of museums. But this time, the opposite happens. Sounds really fascinating, isn't it?

Though I was interested in visiting the museum, I just thought that it would be nice if what I would see was fascinating and would end up talking about it here. And I wasn't sure what to expect actually, because I have never been familiar with the brand itself. (Anyway, I felt lucky because I was able to get the ticket!(It was free, actually! But I needed to make a reservation by obtaining the ticket.) This event has become so popular that the tickets have gone.)But when I went there, these worries just went away! There was a really unique and beautiful construction, and it stood where I've visited and seen many times. The construction let me see the place that I've thought was ordinary in a different way from yesterday. And I even thought that I'll remember the construction being there every time I visit here from now on.

This is the construction by the architect Zaha Hadid. Since I haven't been familiar with the contemporary art or architecture, I have to admit that I just have no idea who she is and why she's so famous right now. But the truth is, the construction has gotten me interested and definitely drew my attention! I think that this is the perfect example of how people judge the beauty of something. You know what beautiful things are without being mentioned about who creates it or how it was made.

I'm going to talk about just a little bit more detail of the museum now. (But I couldn't take pictures inside...unfortunately.) So, please just skip if you're planning to visit there because it'll contain the things you don't want to know before the visit. If you really are interested in what's inside, you'll be able to take a glimpse of it by looking at the blog by Verbal from m-flo.

After entering the museum, the first thing I did was that a headphone and an mp3 player was loaned. And after the staff helped me arrange the setting for the player, the music began and I began walking when the voice that said "Now, please stand up." came to my ears. You might be wondering the typical type of voice guides at museums, but it's totally different. It even told me where to see, where to turn, and how many steps that I should take. So, though how I should see or feel or capture each of installation wasn't suggested, I automatically paid much attention to what she said while I was walking. And in a result, the sense that I don't use usually had been heightened. Concentrating on listening to what she said was as important as concentrating on seeing what was in front of me.

It took about 50 minutes to see all of the installations there with the mysterious audio guidance. After that, I got the booklet about "MOBILE ART."(Surprisingly, it's free and everyone can get it as long as you're a visitor.)

And one of the postcards in the bottom of the picture said the idiom "empty your bag", and I was fascinated by the episode of why this idiom was born. According to the postcard I got, "In bygone days, in the legal world, case files were just simple sheets of paper rolled up and carried in leather bags. Each lawyer had his own, and took his scrolls our one by one in from of the judge in order to read his defense speech. In other words, he "emptied his bag". To "empty one's bag" has become an idiomatic expression in French, "vider son sac: dire ce qu'on a sur le coueur", used when someone reveals something that was kept secret for a long time." It even made me want to say Wow!

Alright, I definitely have gone too far this time!
Anyway, I want you to know that it's worth visiting!
And more importantly, it's free!
(Also, I found the article about this and if you read it---CLICK HERE)

See you soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for visiing my blog yesterday!
I was suprised to see your bolg.It is so lobg essay. I can't write well like you, I did my best and wrote the comment in English. so, It is so hard for me.
I'm sorry my poor english.
I will visit your blog sometimes.

Thank you!