VerveEarth


Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Ways to Improve My Writing in English

Hello, everyone~!

I planned to write a paper whose deadline is next Tuesday, but time has gone by.... Oops! There's too many temptations, especially this weekend. The qualification procedure of Formula 1 race in Paris was aired on TV, and now it's time to watch the soccer game of EURO 2008, Netherlands vs Russia. Awwww..... I can't help but become couch potato! Whatever! Hahaha.

So, I decided to practice writing a paper before I actually start writing. The theme is "What are ways to improve your writing in English for a paper?" It's simple, but at the same time, it makes me think because what I do here now is one of the reasons. Don't you think?

Alright, let me point out several points that I want to focus on the paper.

1. Acquire the basic style.--- When you do something, being creative is always important. But we also need to know how it's been done. So-called "outside the box thinking" only comes out when you know "inside the box thinking", and vice versa. So, the very first step to write better in English would be to acquire the basic style.

2. Do as much reading as you can and always remember that it's for outputs that you'll make.--- That's what I'm trying to do. Reading English books, developing the sense of lexical collocation, for example. Reading English books has taken fear and resignation for long articles in English away from me, and it helps me understand how I should use particular words for particular meanings.

3. Do "plan-do-check-act" process over and over again.--- Of course, you can't write perfectly at the beginning. Rather, what's important is, I think, to define what you can and what you can't, and think about what to do for each of problems and improvements. Sometimes, it's good to focus on what you can't but sometimes doing the opposite might work. So, keep trying and practicing to make a difference.

4. Ask others to see your writing.--- It's always good to get feedbacks from others because it definitely gives you perspectives that you don't have or haven't realized before. So, you can create your own blog like me, or ask your friends to see your writing. If your friends are good at English, that would be perfect! Being looked at by someone you know is a good way to keep your motivation and it makes you alert for grammar. Even if you don't have friends who are good at English, you can easily look for friends throughout the world online! In this "everyone's connected era", it's a choice you can't miss!

Okay, now I'm getting ready for writing them down for the paper. But I actually started to watch the soccer game! Ahhhh, I should probably write a paper to discuss how I should spend time better. Hahaha..!! Well, it definitely sounds like an excuse, but the soccer game is a "must-see" for me. And more importantly, it's held once in every four years!

If you have any comments, feel free to post!
Thank you.

That's all, see you soon!

No comments: