VerveEarth


Monday, June 23, 2008

Stanford's Commencement Address '08

Hello, everyone~!

You might already know that I've been a frequent user of Podcast on iTunes. In terms of learning English, it's impossible to miss because it's totally free!

And if I could introduce my favorites, one of them would be annual commencement address at Stanford University. I found the program about a year ago and the very first one that I listened to at the time was the commencement address by Steve Jobs. He need no introduction literally. His charismatic character saved Apple.

This year, Oprah Winfrey talked at the commencement. Though she's very very famous in the US as one of extremely successful people, she's not so famous in Japan. So, people here don't react at all to the news that the most influential celebrity is Oprah Winfrey. But I'm sort of familiar with her because CNN covered the news about her efforts to build a school in Africa.

The fact that Steve Job's speech was awesome let my expectation for Oprah really high. But, anyway, her speech was also inspiring and there's so much to learn from the way she expressed her emotion, presented herself, and how she chose particular words for particular meaning.

So... enjoy!

You can also get the whole script by clicking here!

No comments: