VerveEarth


Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chat at Tapped In!

Hello, everyone~!

Today, as I mentioned previously, I enjoyed talking to some AGU people at Tapped In! For those who came there tonight(this morning), thank you! And those who couldn't make it today, I hope I'll see you next time!

This time, Hiro(Ojichang) made it! Though Hiro and I are in Japan, and actually go to the same university obviously, we haven't seen each other for a little while. So, it was really nice to talk about what he's been up to, and know that he has been writing a paper for the class he's attended in our graduate school.(Students in Aoyama Gakuin University can attend the classes in the graduate school, and we can even get credits.)

And also, I would like to check and read Confucius Lives Next Door, by T. R. Reid. In addition to that, I will also read the article that Nina introduced at the chat, In Energy-Stingy Japan, an Extravagant Indulgence: Posh Privies. It's interesting for me to know a little bit about Japan from a view of outsiders. It gives me another perspective for ourselves, and a way to make a comparison between how we are being looked at and how we look at ourselves, right?

There was some conversations in Japanese, English-mixed-Japanese, and Japanese-mixed-English when I, Hiro, and Ji Won talked about lots of different things such as Hiro's selection of graduate schools and their requirements for application, Ji Won's precious cars that had sadly gone away, summer movies, and so on.

It's always awesome to talk to AGU people even though we virtually meet online! But hopefully, I'll see you face to face! Hehehe.

That's all for today!
See you soon. ^^

2 comments:

yuiko said...

Hello! I'm sorry to abscent from the chat last night. I went to swimming school...

Nina Liakos said...

I am about 2/3 of the way through Confucius Lives Next Door. It is really so interesting! I have read a lot about Japan already, so I am not totally amazed, but it is fascinating to see how this mostly homogeneous society pulls together. Would this kind of "Confucian society" work in the ethnically diverse USA? It would take a huge change in mindset... but many aspects of the Asian way of valuing social harmony above individualism are very appealing.

The chapter on education was very interesting. However, as a parent of a child with special needs, I wonder what happens when a child is not capable of learning everything. Do Japanese schools provide special education for kids with physical and learning disabilities?